Saturday, 27 December 2014

Christmas Acquisitions


Tis the time of year for new games etc and Santa has been very kind this year and brought me 2 new games to play.

The first is Whizkids Star Trek Attack Wing. Now I know this has been about for a while but I'd actually given it a miss due to its pre - painted miniatures and it's association with X Wing Attack Wing (while I like Star Wars I find the Trek universe far more interesting and find the "cult" status of Star Wars a little annoying). This is one the wife is interested on playing too so looking forward to trying it out later this week.

The second offering is Deadzone by Mantic Games. I've had my eye on this one for a while but with new baby, finds and time were a little scarce. I'm especially looking forward to playing this as it was designed by an old work colleague of mine Jake Thornton and I'm keen to see what he's done with the premise. From what I've gathered so far, it's a Necromunda like skirmish game which uses D8s and a unique grid gaming surface movement mechanic. I've only just started reading the rules but I'm rather impressed on what you get in the boxed set alone.
Having said this one thing I have noticed is missing from this and other non GW games is lack of extensive background fluff. Now I'm as guilty as the next man of skipping the fluff and playing the game BUT in recent years I've found a decent setting really helps to get into a game. I'm probably being picky tho.

No comments:

Post a Comment