Sunday, 7 April 2013

Oh so many Tau

Well a lot has happened since my last post.

Yes the Tau were announced and had a lovely load of rather non de-script articles in the latest White Dwarf (including a battle report with no turn map which made it very hard to follow).
Pre-orders were opened and I decided to go with Wayland Games again, partly because of the nice 30% discount, partly because they actually answer emails unlike some other retailers and partly cos it was a slight snub at GW for their current "screw you" attitude. I pre-ordered the codex, the huge Riptide mech and a XV88 suit, paying for it from proceeds from the Ork sale I had a few weeks ago.

We then got some news that GW weren't sending out their stuff to third party retailers until a week after release, which seemed a further snub to them. However on further inspection it turns out GW just weren't prepared for demand, as they themselves said they would have trouble honouring their own pre-orders.
This is a bit odd as others have commented that Tau have always been popular (especially in the US) and that this happened on their last release. I can't remember as I only remember their first release back in 2001 but it may be a case of GW fiddling the numbers to create demand <sigh>.

Either way I'm happy to wait for now. The codex would be handy but its not a biggie.

I took some time off work over Easter and visited Aberdeen with the missus. I was planning to pick up some paints and maybe a Fire Warrior set from GW, however we popped into Hobbycraft (which I was sure had gone bust) to look at cake things and I spotted they still had a model section, they still sold GW stuff and it was still discounted. I was going to get the FireWarriors there but then spotted they had the Battleforce set.
DILEMMA!
After much umming and ahhing (and a discussion with the wife) we decided that buying the battleforce set made more economic sense in the long run however, due to the price, I agreed not to purchase any new GW stuff until October. I figured this would work as it would force me to concentrate to build and paint what I already had.

So I've already begun work on the set, with the Fire Warriors now being built and awaiting undercoating. I'm
trying a new method of building this time round. For the last 20 odd years I've always built the models on the base, sand based it, then undercoated it. Which this has the effect of having the models slightly sunk into the ground it seems to work quite well, however I noticed others do it differently. So this time I'm building the models sans-base and sand basing and painting the base separately. I'm not sure if this is better or worse at this stage but we will see.

Also mini crisis as I lost the last aerial for my Tau squad leader (Shas'ui) so had to fashion a replacement from plasticard. Fun times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment