Tuesday, 10 July 2012

6th edition postmortem

Well my 6th gamers edition finally arrived on the Tuesday after the Saturday release (thanks GW mail order ). There's a lot to say about this so I'll split this into 2 areas; the physical product and the actual rules.

The gamers edition came with a nice bag and some "limited edition" dice (which are red instead of black). The bag is in the style of a Cadian officers message bag and is well built, with both an imperial eagle or chaos symbol to attach to the front.
The dice come in a tin which is supposed to represent a lasgun cartridge. The effect is ok but it feels a little cheap, made from thin tin with a simple sliding plastic top. It also came with "pewter" objective dice holders, but I think painted plastic is more accurate.

The book itself is quite a tome. Size wise it's about the same as the current Warhammer fantasy book, with a page marker/tassel as well. It contains quite a lot of fluff but I was a bit disappointed to find that it tended to repeat itself, giving the impression that they were fillers to keep the page count up. I didn't find any evidence for the "leaked" idea that the Tau were recognised by the Emperor (just before fighting Horus) as being a species immune to Chaos and issued a protection order. Bit of a shame but it's ok

Now for the rules themselves. There's a lot of ranting on the net at the mo by die hard competitive gamers. They say the rules are unbalanced and too "cinematic". From my first read through it would appear they may be right BUT I don't think it matters. This edition is all about one thing ; Fun. It reminds me so much of when I used to play 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions, when it was all about the experience and less about having a clear "winner". Yes this is bound to upset people who's idea of 40k is sitting in a big hall with loads of other players with the idea to find an overall winner. That aspect of gaming has never really appealed to me and I'm glad GW have moved away from it as there was almost this undercurrent that if you didn't play competitively you were a lesser wargamer. In my opinion they can always keep playing 5th if they want to play that way.

So far I've yet to play a game myself so this opinion might change. I've a game on tomorrow so we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment